Lady of the Lake
High in the ancient mountains of the Brecon Beacons, discover the haunting home of our Welsh Lady of the Lake at Llyn y Fan Fach. Travel through a land of myths and legends to the fairy tale setting of Llyn y Fan Fach where red kites and buzzards wheel in the sky above a dark and unfathomable lake.
The legend of the Lady of the Lake is a tale contained in the 14th century Red Book of Hergest, one of the most ancient manuscripts in existence and is also recorded in the Mabinogion, a collection of Welsh folktales that dates back to medieval time. Learn of her story and that of her “sons”, the celebrated Physicians of Myddfai
Included in the tour
- 2 nights Bed and Breakfast en -suite accommodation at the historic Castle Hotel in Brecon, the oldest hotel in Wales. Free wifi and parking.
- Full tour programme as below.
- Services of a local and knowledgeable guide.
- Tour transport on a comfortable mini bus.
- Guided tour on Day 3.
- Standard Ticket: Three day tour including 2 nights B&B, full tour programme and a social evening with meal and storytelling.
- Day Ticket: Walk to Llyn y Fan Fach, home of the Lady of the Lake (picnic lunch provided) and visit to Myddfai village, home to the Physicians of Myddfai.
- Day Tour Premium Ticket: Everything included in the Day Ticket + Social Evening.
Buy Tickets (from £58)
Or see the details.
- Walk to the mysterious LLyn y Fan Fach, home of the Lady of the Lake.
- Visit the charming village of Myddfai and explore its unique history
- Relax with an evening of storytelling, good food and drink
Your room will be available anytime from 3pm onwards. Once you are settled in we will all meet for afternoon tea (provided), where you can get to know us and the other guests and find out more about the tour. The evening is then free for you to do whatever you wish. We will be at hand to give you suggestions and directions if required.
Please note: if you purchase a day tour ticket, this is what's included with the exception of the evening meal. If you would like to attend the day tour with the evening meal please purchase the £73.00 ticket.
Depart at 10am for our visit to Llyn y Fan Fach … home to the Lady of the Lake of Welsh legend. On arrival, a steady hours walk takes us up to the lake itself, where we will have a picnic lunch (provided) and take in the stunning scenery and haunting beauty of the lake.
We then take a short drive to the quiet village of Myddfai, home to the renowned Physicians of Myddfai, who legend says are the sons of The Lady of the Lake. Here we will visit the local church with its memorial to the last Physician and the acclaimed visitor centre and café.
7:30pm - We meet at a local cafe/bistro for a meal and an evening of storytelling related to the Lady of the Lake.
After a leisurely breakfast guests are welcome to either:
take a guided tour of Brecon - 11am start (included in price)
or depart at their own convenience.
This tour involves active sightseeing with a round- trip walk of roughly 3 miles (approximately 4.85 kms) on a mountain path. Please bring a warm layer, a waterproof coat and suitable footwear for hill walking.
If for any reason changes have to be made to the programme eg due to weather conditions, we will always ensure a suitable alternative is provided and will do all we can to make your tour , rewarding, relaxing and memorable..
The Castle Hotel is an elegant Georgian hotel set in the grounds of an 11th century castle with stunning views of the beautiful Brecon Beacons. It has stylish modern rooms, a restaurant, a welcoming bar, riverside and mountain view gardens.
Payments & Refunds
Payments are made via Eventbrite, a well established event management and ticketing website. In line with their refund policies, we offer refunds up to 7 days before a tour start date. Once you’ve bought your tickets we will send out a welcome information pack about two weeks prior to your tour. This will contain further details and advice as to what to bring with you for the tour. If at any time you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me, either by phone or email.